This historical trail enables the user to start just below the breached South Fork Dam and follow the same watercourse that floodwaters took in 1889, when they surged into Johnstown. The Path of the Flood Trail provides numerous trail-side markers that tell the story and enable users to visualize the scene within the Little Conemaugh River valley, which remains largely unchanged more than 120 years later. Additionally, this trail is naturally beautiful and challenging with some steeper grades and varying trail surfaces.
The Path of the Flood offers an 11-mile bicycle ride that’s both intellectually and physically satisfying. A four-mile section from the trailhead in Ehrenfeld to Mineral Point offers scenic views, educational trailside markers and moderately challenging slopes when riding eastward. Below Mineral Point and the two-mile Staple Bend Tunnel Trail, which is managed by the National Park Service, bicyclists will be challenged with steep grades for one mile. Please refer to the Allegheny Portage Railroad website for more information about this section of trail. Following another mile on more-level dedicated trail to a hillside park above Franklin, the rider will finish with three miles on public streets before reaching the Path’s terminus at the Johnstown Flood Museum.
129 Ragers Hill Rd., South Fork
Stineman Maple Street
312 Maple Street, South Fork
Ehrenfeld Ball Park
31 Mt. Carmel Drive, South Fork
602 Portage Street, South Fork
Staple Bend Tunnel Park (National Park Service)
1156 Beech Hill Road, Johnstown
142 Staple Bend Tunnel Trl., Johnstown